Professor of Economic Sociology
Research in monetary and banking theory.
Advocacy of monetary reform.
Contributions to academic research and teaching:
- Analysis of fractional reserve banking and its dysfunctions
as well as development of a new currency teaching, i.e. plain money, or sovereign money resp., from the mid 1990s
- Theory and policies of Ecological Modernisation 1980 –2000s
- General innovation and modernisation theory 1990–2000s
- Dual Economy Theory (formal and informalsector of work and economy) 1980s
- Promode and Anamode, archetypes of cultural dynamics 1980s
- Theory and practice of Alternative Economies 1975–1980s.
1992-2012 Chair of Economic and Environmental Sociology, Martin-Luther-University, Halle, Germany.
1981–1992 professor adjoint at Free University Berlin. Fellowships and guest and interim professorships at Science Center Berlin, University Zürich and Technical University Vienna.
1975-77 project team staff of prof. Ota Šik, Business School St. Gallen, Switzerland.
From the 1980s conducting studies and serving as a policy advisor to various governments, politicians and companies on matters of economic and ecological modernisation.
In the 1980s pioneer of green-ethical banking.
1996 - 2014 member of the eco advisory board of Umweltbank AG (Environmental Bank) Nürnberg.
1999–2001 working with James Robertson on monetary reform on behalf of the New Economics Foundation, London. The report [Creating New Money] has offered a frame of reference for quite a number of monetary reform initiatives after 2000.
In 2009 founder of Monetative e.V., a monetary reform group advocating Vollgeld (sovereign money).
Member of the advisory board of Positive Money, London.
Lives in Berlin.
Selected Publications in English
On monetary modernisation
• Sovereign Money. Beyond Reserve Banking, London: Palgrave Macmillan 2017
• Split-circuit reserve banking. Functioning, dysfunctions and future perspectives, Real-World Economic Review, no.80, June 2017, 63-84
• Modern Money Theory and New Currency Theory. A comparative discussion, Real-World Economics Review, no.66, January 2014.
• Plain Money. A Proposal for Supplying the Nations with the Necessary Means in a Modern Monetary System, Der Hallesche Graureiher 1999–3, Forschungsberichte des Instituts für Soziologie der Martin-Luther-Universität 1999
• Seigniorage Reform and Plain Money, Forum for Stable Currencies Paper, 2001
On ecological modernisation
• New Technologies and Environmental Innovation, Cheltenham UK: Edward Elgar Publ., 2004.
• Pioneer Countries and the Global Diffusion of Environmental Innovations, Global Environmental Change, Vol. 18, No. 3, August 2008, 360–367.
• Technological environmental innovations in a chain-analytical and lifecycle-analytical perspective, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 16, No. 18, 2008, 1980–1986.
• Towards Industrial Ecology: Sustainable Development as a Concept of Ecological Modernisation, in Redclift, Michael R. / Woodgate, Graham (eds), New Developments in Environmental Sociology, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2005, 251–267. First publ. in: Andersen, Michael / Massa, Ilmo (Eds), Ecological Modernization, Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning, Special Issue, 2 (2000) 269–285.